The Broken Crown
- Player’s Handbook
- Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (see notes below)
- Unearthed Arcana: The Ranger, Revised (this is the preferred version of the Ranger class)
As well as defeating monsters, XP will be awarded for:
- Party milestones, such as: uncovering secrets, completing quests, advancing the plot. This will be awarded to the entire party based on average party level and magnitude of milestone.
- Character milestones, such as: character development, overcoming flaws, changing relationships. This is awarded to every character based on their level and magnitude of milestone.
- Best Roleplaying Scene, as voted by you, the players. A Hard award for the party’s average level for each character actively participating in the scene.
No automatic feats
There are two ways to obtain a Feat:
- Using the Variant Human Traits rule on p31 of the PHB
- Discovering somebody somewhere in the Nine Kingdoms that can train you in a Feat. This will take significant time and may cost gold.
Feats are not available by forgoing an Ability Score Increase.
Spellcasters who can cast Teleportation Circle (i.e. have it learnt or prepared) may cast it without material components by using a Permanent Teleportation Circle as the origin. This teleports the caster and up to seven creatures, who must all be within the circle when the spell is cast.
Enemy Armour Class
After a particular enemy combatant has been hit by any PC attack roll and missed by any PC attack roll, the DM will announce its armour class.
When you spend a luck point to roll an additional d20 on a roll that had Advantage or Disadvantage, you may choose the result of the additional d20 or the final result, after applying Advantage or Disadvantage, of the initial roll.
Retraining class features
Certain people across the Nine Kingdoms can, usually for a price, retrain a Class Feature. This allows you to take an alternative option for features such as the Fighter’s Martial Archetype or Fighting Style. When you next gain a level, you lose all benefits of the old option for that feature, and gain any benefits as if you had taken that option when it was first chosen.
Imp Shapechanger ability
The polymorph granted by this ability is a magical effect, and while the Imp is in animal form, Dispel Magic and similar effects revert it to its true form.
Rogue Uncanny Dodge feature
The Uncanny Dodge feature allows a rogue to halve attack damage against it by using their reaction. Use of this feature can be declared after the attack roll, but must be before the damage has been announced.
The Underdark and the Shadowfell
In the world of Erd, the Underdark is not a physical realm beneath the Material Plane, but a separate Plane entirely. It is not possible to reach the Underdark except by magical means (such as the Plane Shift spell).
Whenever a sourcebook references the Shadowfell, read it as referencing the Underdark.
Notes on Xanathar’s Guide to Everything class options
- Barbarian Path of the Storm Herald: please notify the DM if you choose a new Storm Aura when you level up
- Barbarian Path of the Zealot: these Barbarians are usually followers of Bane or Gruumsh
- Cleric Forge Domain: these Clerics are usually followers of Erathis or Moradin
- Cleric Grave Domain: these Clerics are usually followers of the Raven Queen or N_____ he must rise (talk to the DM before taking the latter option)
- Fighter Cavalier: these Fighters are usually from the Kingdom of the Odreïan Legions
- Fighter Samurai: these Fighters are usually from the minor islands of the Igægan Archipelago
- Paladin Oath of Conquest: these Paladins are usually followers of Bane or Gruumsh
- Paladin Oath of Redemption: these Paladins are usually followers of Bahamut or Avandra
- Sorcerer Divine Soul Origin: these Sorcerers are shunned by mainstream religious organisations
- Sorcerer Shadow Magic Origin: see “The Underdark and the Shadowfell” above
- Wizard War Magic Tradition: these Wizards are usually from the Kingdom of Kamendas